Flapjacks. Because a pancake is paper thin and is served with cinnamon sugar. When it rains only.
- Mister Tjoppie Braai Sheet
- 135g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 130ml milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter (allowed to cool slightly) or olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- 2 ripe bananas, 1 mashed, 1 thinly sliced
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- Heat the grill/Braai to high. Arrange the bacon on your Mister Tjoppie braai sheet. Cook for 5-7 mins until crisp.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and sugar with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and add the mashed banana, eggs, butter and milk. Whisk to a smooth batter without any flour lumps.
- Heat your grill and Mister Tjoppie . Once heated, ladle in small dollops of the pancake batter, leaving a little space between each, as they will spread out. Put 2 or 3 slices of banana onto the surface of each pancake and cook for 2 mins over a medium heat. When you see bubbles appear between the banana slices, flip the pancakes over and cook for 1 min more, until puffed up and golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm with the bacon while you cook the rest.
- Serve the pancakes with the crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.